Lithium-Ion Battery Charging Apparatus Left on Bed in Waiehu House Fire

An evening fire at a Waiehu dwelling caused an estimated $400,000 in harm and displaced six citizens, according to Maui fire authorities. The fire was reported at 10:17 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 9, 2016, at a one-story home on Alakai Avenue, about a tenth of a mile west of Lower Waiehu Beach Highway. Section officials say an occupier of the house reported that 30 minutes preceding, they started charging a lithium ion battery in a USB charging apparatus that has been plugged into a power outlet. The charging apparatus and battery were left on the mattress. “The rechargeable Lithium-ion battery called for was a standalone 3.7 volt, 2200mAh battery, much like an AA sized battery. The battery is inserted into a charging block which uses a USB type wire that goes to some regular 110V electrical wall outlet,” Maui Fire Services Chief Edward Taomoto clarified. It’s put and eliminated back into the apparatus that utilizes the battery “After the battery is done charging. In this event, the same rechargeable battery is used to power the owner’s headlamp type flashlight and an e-cig.” Fire researchers say they know the fire began in the sack but were unable to determine the precise cause. Wailuku firemen arrived on scene at 10:27 p.m., discovering a working fire with flames via windows on the left side of the home. The occupants discovered a smoke odor somewhere within the house and were at home. When they opened a bedroom door, they located the bed on fire and evacuated the dwelling. MFS Chief Taomoto stated if there is time to achieve this the section would really like to prepare the public that when a fire is found in a chamber of the house, they should quickly shut the door to the chamber before leaving the structure. By shutting the door, you effectively control the fire to the room of origin and limit the spread of fires, smoke, and heat from the remaining dwelling, ” said MFS Chief Taomoto. In this occurrence, the door to the bedroom was left open, which enabled the fire to propagate down the hall and to other regions of the home,” he stated. A battalion chief from Wailuku, Kahului, and Wailea and sixteen firefighters answered to the episode. In all, three adults and three children who reside in the house were displaced. The Red Cross is assisting those affected. Initially, firm representatives said they were assisting eight folks. Total damages included: $300,000 in damages to the construction and $100,000 to the contents.month.

The charging apparatus and battery were left on the mattress. “The rechargeable Lithium-ion battery called for was a standalone 3.7 volt, 2200mAh battery, much like an AA sized battery. The battery is inserted into a charging block which uses a USB type wire that goes to some regular 110V electrical wall outlet,” Maui Fire Services Chief Edward Taomoto clarified. It’s put and eliminated back into the apparatus that utilizes the battery “After the battery is done charging. In this event, the same rechargeable battery is used to power the owner’s headlamp type flashlight and an e-cig.”

Fire researchers say they know the fire began in the sack but were unable to determine the precise cause. Wailuku firemen arrived on scene at 10:27 p.m., discovering a working fire with flames via windows on the left side of the home. The occupants discovered a smoke odor somewhere within the house and were at home. When they opened a bedroom door, they located the bed on fire and evacuated the dwelling. MFS Chief Taomoto stated if there is time to achieve this the section would really like to prepare the public that when a fire is found in a chamber of the house, they should quickly shut the door to the chamber before leaving the structure. By shutting the door, you effectively control the fire to the room of origin and limit the spread of fires, smoke, and heat from the remaining dwelling, ” said MFS Chief Taomoto. In this occurrence, the door to the bedroom was left open, which enabled the fire to propagate down the hall and to other regions of the home,” he stated. A battalion chief from Wailuku, Kahului, and Wailea and sixteen firefighters answered to the episode. In all, three adults and three children who reside in the house were displaced. The Red Cross is assisting those affected. Initially, firm representatives said they were assisting eight folks. Total damages included: $300,000 in damages to the construction and $100,000 to the contents.month.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Navigation